Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:02:37 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
To:        "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UltraSPARC and MicroSPARC vs Pentium Pro ?

M.C Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am making recommendation for using FreeBSD or BSDI as a WWW server
> for a hospital WWW server and I have the following on the prefered
> list:
>
> Sun Netra i/170L (UltraSPARC 167MHz) as WWW, SMTP, caching proxy server.
> Sun Netra i5 (MicroSPARC 110Mhz) as firewall.

Not sure about these models, but I like the Sun Boxes.

> On the other hand, I am keen on recommending FreeBSD or BSDI with
> the following hardware:
>
> Intel Pentium Pro 200 for WWW, SMTP, caching proxy server and
> Intel Pentium 166 for firewall.

Sounds good.  Will you be doing much cgi?  How many hits a day will you
be getting for cgi and pages?

> However, I need more real-world benchmark for the following CPUs:
>
> UltraSPARC 167MHz vs PPro 200Mhz, and
> MicroSPARC 110Mhz vs Pentium 166Mhz.
>
> Without some hard figures showing comparison, my recommendation will
> not be too convincing. Can anyone help ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> M.C Wong

> Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

I don't care about your benchmarks that much.  How mission critical is
the application?  I have set up Sun Enterprise and SparcStations to use
as web servers and the like.  A lot will depend on the usage of the www
server.  If it is imperative that the server be available *all* of the
time, I would go with the Sun equipment.  This has nothing to do with
processor speed, or the differences between Solaris and FreeBSD.  Intel
equipment varies by manufacturer to manufacturer.  The Sun stuff that I
have worked with just keeps on going.

However, if the server is not that mission critical, and you are not
hitting it with huge amounts of cgi, then go with the Intel stuff.  Just
take some time to pick some good equipment.  Talk to this guy about
buying the right parts:

"Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>

If you are going to put a real load on the server, then think about the
multiprocessor support from Sun.  However, you are now getting up to a
cost of over $20,000 most likely.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088