Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 96 15:51:18 EDT
From:      gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
To:        bmehling@uci.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c579 NIC?

Ben,

Regarding:
>Is there a way to get my 3c579 recognized or should I start searching
>for an ISA version of the card?

I have a 3C579 card in my EISA system, and it works just fine.
The trick is to change the kernel configuration line from looking for
a 3C509 at a fixed address, to an unknown address (the card will then be
found during the EISA probe).  Also, you don't have to fix the IRQ since
the setting can be read from the card.  So, use port? and irq? in your
config line.  Then recompile your kernel and it will find
your card at its "high" address - e.g. mine is found at 0x2000.

I would give you the exact kernel config line which I used, since it is NOT
in the LINT file, but my system is at home - I'm just doing this from memory.
I'll post the exact line tonight or tomorrow in case the above wasn't clear.

>Thanx for any info, and hope this ends up in the right place...

Yes it is the right place, and you're welcome.

Gary