Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:59:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jason Kasper <j_dot_kasper@www.usa.net>
Subject:   Re: Irda support

> I realize this may be slightly off-topic, but for the life of me, I
> can't find any reference anywhere
> (google/altavista/deja.com/freebsd.org/etc.) that would indicate that
> anybody is even looking at irda support for freebsd.  Are there any
> plans to support irda in the freebsd kernel in the upcoming time-frame?

There's really never been much interest in it, to be honest.  If it's
something that's interesting to you, I suggest doing a reference
implementation and seeing if you can get anyone else fired up about
it.  I have to wonder what the linux-user crowd is so busy chortling
about, myself.  I've never had the slightest use for IRDA - maybe
if they built laptops with IRDA ports on each side so that you could
actually share data with the laptop next to you on the plane...

- Jordan