Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:05:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

> In /etc/netstart (and elsewhere) we have constructs of the form:
>
> if [ "x$gateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>         echo 'configuring host as a gateway.'
>         sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
> fi
>
> if [ "x$router" != "xNO" ] ; then
>         echo -n starting routing daemon:
>         echo -n " ${router}";   ${router} ${routerflags}
>         echo '.'
> fi
>
> if [ "x$ipxgateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>
> And so on.  This is, needless to say, DEEPLY DEEPLY EVIL since it will
> cause these features to be turned on in the _absence_ of any such flag
> setting, say because you have an old /etc/sysconfig file.  You make
> the world and you copy your new /etc files over (or this is done by
> "upgrade") and having missed the new variables in sysconfig, you're
> now quite surprised to see that you're running IPX and your machine
> now considers itself a gateway. :-)
>
> Any objection to reversing the polarity on these various ifs?  If
> there's no variable or it's not explicitly set to YES, the operation
> should fail.  Speak now or hold your peace, please..

I don't mind if it is changed. I think the problem started from the
fact that some of the programs like IPXrouted can be run with no
arguments and it would be valid, so setting ipxrouted="" is a
valid option.

Maybe we should give all these variables a valid value in the beginning
of netstart before sysconfig is pulled in?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za