Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:34:23 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        muir@idiom.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Off-topic; was Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

>>>>> "David" == David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com> writes:

    David> Or #!/bin/csh

Eyuck!  Although I'm not fond of Tom Christiansen, I refer you to his
article ``C Shell Programming Considered Harmful.''  Look for it at

    http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/faq.html.

And given all that listed in that article, also note that the csh
version of the script has a running set size of about 100k larger than
the sh version.  And since it's just plain old #!/bin/csh (no -f, or
better yet, -bf), it'll read your ~/.cshrc and grab aliases, settings,
and other what-not it'll never use.

DON'T write csh scripts.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I think people tend to forget that trees are living creatures. They're
sort of like dogs. Huge, quiet, motionless dogs, with bark instead of
fur.  -- Jack Handey