Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 09:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jorge Lima <Jorge.Lima@fc.ul.pt>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/38460: core dumps with ghostscript

>Number:         38460
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       core dumps with ghostscript
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD kdata12.fis.fc.ul.pt 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #4: Tue May 14 19:20:06 WEST 2002     root@kdata12.fis.fc.ul.pt:/usr/src/sys/compile/JMAL  i386

The ghostscript terminates with a segmentation fault (generating
a core dump) when called from the apsfilter. I've noticed that the
offending command line option is -r'300x300', but I've also found that
this option allone is harmless. Perhaps there is some interaction
between this option and the specific output driver being used. Im using
'cdj970' driver and I've tried both with the ghostscript-gnu-6.52_4.tgz
package found in the /packages/print directory of the 4.5 FreeBSD CDROM
and the ghostscript-afpl from the ports collection, which happened to
install the 7.03 version. Both gave the same results. My system is
a Pentium Pro 200MHz with 96 MB of ram.
>How-To-Repeat:
The following command line reproduces the problem

cat some_ps_file | gs -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sDEVICE='cdj970' -r'300x300' \
		-sPAPERSIZE='a4' -sOutputFile=- - > teste.pcl

>Fix:
Removing the -r'300x300' option from the command line solves the problem,
as far as getting the apsfilter and the printing system to work, but
the ghostscript problem is still there.