Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 05:34:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS locking patches -- status update

Well, I've received one bug report on the NFS locking patches.

If anyone else is playing with them, here's how you should send me
debug information:

1)	Do a truss/ktrace on the offending program; I need to know if
	it's a flock, lockf, or fcntl based lock causing the problem
	for you.

2)	Consider building a debug kernel.  Since the option changes,
	I don't know if you can set "option LOCKF_DEBUG" in the
	kernel config or not, or under what conditions the debug
	sysctl's will show up.  Best bet is to:

	a)	build the kernel DEBUG to be sure to get the sysctl's
	b)	At the top of /sys/kern/lockf.c, add "#define LOCKF_DEBUG";
		if you are adventurous, you can try it as a kernel
		option; if it doesn't work, then the lockf_debug value
		won't show up in the sysctl output
	c)	Get to the point where the bug *almost* is going to
		happen.
	d)	sysctl lockf_debug to 1 (for entry logging), 2 (for
		overlap management), or 3 (for both).  You will get
		a *lot* of debug output; if you have a small dmesg
		buffer, do them seperately

3)	Send me the logs.  I should be able to fix the problem very
	quickly.

					Thanks,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org