Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:39:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current vs. -stable network performance

    I've noticed that -current has much lower TCP performance.  I haven't
    had time to investigate it but I presume there is some overhead
    somewhere that is killing it.

					-Matt

:Hi,
:I am testing the forwarding performance of CURRENT vs. STABLE
:(both more or less up to date, unmodified, with the latest performance
:patches to the "dc" driver, which I am using) and I am having some
:surprises.
:
:STABLE can forward approx 125Kpps, whereas CURRENT tops at approx 80Kpps.
:
:This is on the same hardware, 750MHz Athlon, fastforwarding enabled,
:a 4-port 21143 card, one input driven with a stream of up to 148Kpps
:(64 bytes each).
:
:Ability to transmit seems roughly the same (in both cases 138Kpps),
:and lack of CPU does not seem to be the problem (at least for
:CURRENT), so I am suspecting some difference in the initialization
:of PCI parameters, such as burst size etc, but I am unclear on
:where to look at.  Any ideas ?
:
:	cheers
:	luigi