Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 16:27:31 +1000
From:      Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        grog@freebsd.org, peter@wemm.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by default?

On 28 May 2002, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org> wrote:
> In message: <20020529140813.P82424@wantadilla.lemis.com>
>             "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : > We shouldn't search it because that may break other things.
> :
> : What?
>
> It increases the default security domain from /usr/include and
> /usr/lib to also include /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include
> silently.  Right now users must explicitly declare that they want to
> link against this less secure domain by adding -I/usr/local/include
> and -L/usr/lcoal/include to the build process.

I thought that was probably the reason.

Given the arguments advanced, I'm curious whether you think that
packages which are not specific to BSD ought to detect BSD and add
those paths, or whether they ought to break by default and require the
user to specifically nominate /usr/local/?

The first is probably more friendly, but in a way it undermines the
BSD maintainers' design.

--
Martin