Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:11:59 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel CPU design flaw - FreeBSD affected? [AMD family Zen/17h status]

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2018-01/msg00004.htm=
>>=20
>> https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
>>=20
>> reports. . .
>>=20
>> For the Bounds Check Bypass Spectre variant (#1):
>>=20
>> Resolved by software / OS updates to be made available
>> by system vendors and manufacturers. Negligible performance
>> impact expected.
>>=20
>> For the Branch Target Injection Spectre variant (#2):
>>=20
>> Differences in AMD architecture mean there is a near zero
>> risk of exploitation of this variant. Vulnerability to
>> Variant 2 has not been demonstrated on AMD processors to
>> date.
>>=20
>> For the Rogue Data Cache Load Meltdown variant (#3):
>>=20
>> Zero AMD vulnerability due to AMD architecture differences.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> How long #2 will have a "has not been demonstrated" status
>> is yet to be seen.
>=20
> =
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Dnews_item&px=3DAMD-Branch-Predict=
ion-Still
>=20
> reports that SUSE's microcode update for AMD's Zen/17h does
> not disable branch prediction, despite SUSE's existing
>=20
> QUOTE
> I reached out to AMD and on Friday heard back. They wrote in an email
> to Phoronix that this Zen/17h microcode update does not disable branch
> prediction. They'll be working with SUSE to re-clarify this microcode
> update description... But as far as what this microcode update does in
> the wake of SPECTRE they have yet to clarify or why this microcode
> binary has yet to make it to other Linux distributions. If/when I hear
> anything more, I'll certainly post about it but doesn't appear to be
> anything as dramatic as disabling branch prediction, which could have
> slaughtered their CPU performance.
> END QUOTE

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution has been updated
and amd no longer claims that #2 has not been demonstrated. They state
there will  be microcode updates for it:

QUOTE
AMD will make optional microcode updates available to our customers and =
partners
for Ryzen and EPYC processors starting this week. We expect to make =
updates
available for our previous generation products over the coming weeks.
END QUOTE

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net