Date:      05 Jun 2000 12:32:17 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "jason schwab" <jasonschwab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, petef@databits.net, ghandi@mindless.com, amb78@nmia.com, nmlug@swcp.com
Subject:   Re: Syslog question...

"jason schwab" <jasonschwab@hotmail.com> writes:
>      I am going to have two public machines; and one machine
> that will do nothing except be a backup of syslog from both
> the public machines. on the syslog backup machine; is there
> any way to have different files from the logs coming from
> the different hosts? I dont want all the logs from both
> machines into the same files on to the logging backup
> machine....

If you want to use the stock FreeBSD syslogd, you'll have to run
multiple instances of syslogd with separate config files. Short of
hacking syslogd to allow the UDP port to be specified on the command
line and/or in the config file, the easiest way to do this is assign
multiple IP addresses to the logging machine and run each instance of
syslogd in a separate jail with a separate IP address. If you build a
static syslogd binary, the jail need not contain much:
/etc/syslog.conf, an empty /var/run directory, and your log files.

If I were you, though, I'd take a look at the various other syslogd
implementations out there (ssyslogd and msyslogd at least).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no