Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:44:18 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Modifying only certain bits with chmod

Am I missing something, or is there no way to set or reset only certain
permission bits--while leaving the others unchanged--using chmod with the octal
permissions field?  If chmod doesn't allow this, is there any other similar
command that does?

Essentially what I was thinking of was, say, clearing a write bit on the
permissions of a group of files without changing any of the other bits (which
may not be the same for each file).  The symbolic form of the chmod command is
awkward (at least for me).