Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:46:15 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software on FreeBSD

>> Is FreeBSD at least as user-friendly as a good Linux distribution
>> like RedHat? Does the manual in the boxed sets tell how to setup a
>> modem and make a dialup connection to an ISP, and how to connect
>> and disconnect?
>
>Well, I think FreeBSD is more user-friendly than Linux; it doesn't
>put important stuff in wierd places like /opt and such, and the docs
>are clearly written.

I'd agree I find the FreeBSD man pages a *lot* clearer than either the
Linux man pages or the gnu info pages. I wish FreeBSD had more "HOWTO's",
like Linux, but they are gradually building up more and there are some
terrific sites out there, like freebsddiary.com and daemon news that have
helpful articles. Not *quite* as easy to find, but often more readable than
the Linux HOTO's.

And there's this mailing list. I don't know if Linux has anything similar
(I would expect they do), but I've never seen a properly posed question go
unanswered here. The main thing to remember, if asking a question, follow
the FAQ which is posted from time to time, and make a concise description
of the problem in the subject line. If your subject line gives a good idea
of what problem you're trying to solve you'll have a better chance of
getting a helpful answer. Some of the regular posters to this list are
awesome! Wish I could manage my time as well as they seem to.
--
Roger