Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:54:57 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, sheldonh@uunet.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/inetd inetd.c

>Can nohup really prevent processes from trapping SIGHUP? I thought it
>just set the SIGUP handler to discard and hoped for the best.

It's normally a bug to catch ignored signals.  Daomons that reread config
files when they receive a signal may be counterexamples.  OTOH, they
probably shouldn't be started with some signals ignored unless ignoring
those signals is really wanted.

>Xntpd in the base system explicitly requests its graceful termination
>function, called finish(), be loaded as the SIGHUP handler.

This seems to be just a bug.  finish() is used for SIGHUP, SIGINT,
SIGQUIT and SIGTERM.  finish() just finishes (actually it has undefined
behaviour since it calls exit()), so nothing except undefined behaviour
is lost by ignoring these signals.

Bruce