Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:59:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floating point usage within the kernel - howto ?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> they want to run a P-I-D controller (and more generic controllers
> if this goes well) to control a few motors, for didactical purposes.

What update rate do they need that requires the code to run in the kernel?

> The used to do the same thing under DOS, by hooking this 'real-time'
> task to the timer interrupt. I am trying to push them to use FreeBSD
> (and an LKM for this module) so that they can easily access the
> controller across the network or via the web, use high level stuff
> for visualization, etc.

I would still do the PID computation in user-space and just use an ioctl
to the lkm driver that talks to whatever I/O they have. It would need
to be a pretty high speed application to require the code in the kernel
and even then it would likely have a dedicated controller anyway.

If they want to program like DOS, that's what they should use. 8-)

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137