Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:20:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR 1201

Jason Thorpe writes:
 > On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 05:23:19 -0400
 >  "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:
 >
 >  > Anyone ever looked at Jason's changes to the `ch' driver? I have an
 >  > EXB10h tape robot which I would *REALLY* like to get working ASAP with
 >  > our FreeBSD server(s) ...
 >
 > It should Just Work with any changer that follows the SCSI Medium Changer
 > spec.  The driver does work under FreeBSD, and I use it under NetBSD
 > quite often.
 >
 > Note, however, that if the changer is at a LUN other than 0, you'll have
 > to add quirk entries to the MI code to deal with that.  Also, the FreeBSD
 > NCR53c8xx driver doesn't cope with LUNs properly, either, so you'll have
 > to either fix it, or use a non-NCR53c8xx controller :-)
 >
 > (I punted on the NCR53c8xx :-)

Well, yes, I didn't miss that ... :)

Hmm, but scanning back through 2 years worth of NCR related
mail messages, I don't see a single message that points out
a problem with multiple LUNs (and I know of several people
who successfully connected multi-LUN devices).

I do not doubt that you observed problems, and it might be
possible to fix the cause, but only if I have some idea of
what fails in which situation and what error messages you
get ...

Or just send me a sample of a failing device (but I understand
that this will never happen as long as I live on this continent :)

Regards, STefan