Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:07:30 +0300
From:      Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp-master slow or busy?

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:47:45PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is ftp-master very busy or is there some kind of congestion on the links
> close to it? Update speeds seems very slow lately. Mostly it has been
> 20kByte/s or slower. A while back I got up to 100k, which is pretty good
> for something from down here in South Africa. Although at that stage I
> was still using rsync and now I'm using cvsup. Can it be that cvsup is
> more sensitive to the long delays? According to ping the delay is 640ms
> and more.

John, 28kbyte/sec is a practical limit of tcp stream over
satellite link (or any link without packet loss but with
600 ms delay) with default kernel settings on the sending side.
I'm getting the same speed in Ukraine :)

May be it's the time to ask maintainers of ftp-master to
adjust kernel settings on ftp-master to help us, maintainers
of over-satellite-mirrors ? :)

> Just worried that packages-5-current will become packages-5-stable
> before I cvsuped them all. :-)

Just have not enough disk space to maintain full mirror :(
--
Alexander Snarskii
the source code is included.