Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:34:33 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about packages

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 12:16:10AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> Well, I'm creating, not installing, and the people who will be
> installing won't be investigating those things. They'll be taking ten
> minutes to find the right keys to type in 'pkg_add filename' correctly,
> and have neither the knowledge nor enthusiasm to investigate further.

> *After* the package is installed they will have the means to *begin* to
> learn these things. Meanwhile, I have to make sure I know damn well how
> that package works in order to give them some chance of success with
> no prior knowledge and the minimum of keystrokes.

This sounds like you want a script to check and possibly install these
packages, rather than relying on pkg_add directly.  It could be as simple
as:

#!/bin/sh
if [ .$1 = . ]; then
  echo "Please specify the path to the installation CDROM"
  exit 1
fi
pkg_add $1/package
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  echo "Warning: Installation of package failed"
fi

If the packages are spread among multiple CDROM's, the error condition could
prompt to mount a different CDROM (but that starts to get ugly).

With some creative uses of dmesg, grep, and mount, you could figure out the
device name of any cdroms, and where (or if) they are mounted.

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use