Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:45:03 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@bsd.unix.sh>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: official-looking advocacy (was re: Possible idea to raise funds.)

Michael Lucas wrote:

> > I agree, and I'm not really complaining, except for the fact that pretty
> > much me and two other people manned the booth for 3 days straight at the
> > bazaar, essentially representing FreeBSD. It was in some pseudo-official
> > capacity
> > that I did this, as one of the people in NYC that happens to be fairly
> > involved in the effort. But when giving contact information in that
> > capacity, while *I* may own bsdunix.net and it looked fairly official ,
> > others did not.
> >
> > When you are speaking to businesspeople, things like this *do* matter.
>
> (subject changed and cc's trimmed)
>
> Hmm... yes, this is a problem.  Businesspeople definitely care about
> these things.
>
> Is there a NYC BUG?  Perhaps you might ask for some sort of mail
> forwarder from freebsd.org for, say, nycbug@freebsd.org.  Minimizes
> system load and administrator load at freebsd.org, and it's not
> focused on any one person.
>
> After all, the committers need *some* sort of perks.  ;)

I don't think anyone is resistant to giving out freebsd.org mail addresses
or login accounts for people who mainly want to do advocacy.  The only
question is one of commitment.  Sending email from an account @freebsd.org
carries connotations of an official announcement or agreement to do some-
thing, which may or may not be agreed to by core.  Committers and at least
one core member have been taken to task for expressing personal opinions
from freebsd.org email accounts.

If you want to become a dedicated advocate, email core@freebsd.org and ask
for an email account @freebsd.org.  Don't expect the answer to be yes unless
you have a proven track record and have been around a while, that's just the
way things work around here.  In a commercial setting, the organization
controls the individual by holding their job over them.  Here, you have to
prove you're not an idiot before you get to speak for the organization.