Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:54:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP:  wd driver will be retired!

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> 	Update your /etc/fstab (use /dev/ad* instead of /dev/wd* or
> 		/dev/rwd*

Can't we keep the same device names? I thought that was the original plan
way back when, once the new driver was ready for prime-time.

Also, perhaps we should have a changing-over period where the old drivers
are still available under a new name - until recently, Soren was
advertising the driver as "WARNING: This is pre-alpha code and may trash
your filesystems", etc, which may well have limited his testing base (it
certainly scared me off). I'm all for moving forward, but I'd hate to
eliminate a fallback path in case the transition proves less than smooth.

Kris