Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:08:17 +1100
From:      "Roger Wilco" <freebsd@m2mtechnology.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Qantum DLT 7000 2150 tape unit

>> I have recently set up a SCSI DLT tape unit on our FreeBSD file server to
>> take care of backups but I can not get it to work.
>
> I hate that question, but you are quite sure you haven't screwed
> up the SCSI bus configuration? Is this an external device?

I'm not sure what you mean by the SCSI bus configuration. If you are talking
about the way the devices are connected to the bus then the tape device is
the only SCSI device. It is external and it is terminated. The internal
connectors on the SCSI card are not connected to anything, but I don't think
that the need to be terminated.

If you are talking about the kernel configuration then I began by including
the following lines:
device	ahc		#Adaptec 2940
device	scbus		#base SCSI code
device	sa		#SCSI tapes

When that didn't work I added the following lines:
device	da		#SCSI direct access (disks)
device	cd		#SCSI CD-ROMs
device	pass		#CAM passthrough driver

The only other line that may have an effect is:
device	ch		#SCSI media changers
I will try adding this when I get the chance to reboot the machine.

I read something about the CHANGER_MIN_BUSY_SECONDS and
CHANGER_MAX_BUSY_SECONDS options which said that they should be set to 100
and 500 for tapes (default = 2 and 10). I changed the values using sysctl
but it didn't have any effect.

Are there any other kernel options that I should look at?

I have been playing with this problem for two days and haven't gotten
anywhere. Please help.