Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:49:25 -0800
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        pbecke@javagear.com
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

> An iPaQ is probably the best platform to work on for porting FreeBSD.  As you
> point out, it is relatively inexpensive and readily available, and Compaq seems
> to be relatively forth coming with technical information.  I have heard that is
> it is very difficult, if not impossible to get information on the Psion.

Actually the iPAQs are very tough to find now too. I remember hearing
that Compaq is sorting out its inventory issues but it's hard to say
when they will start appearing in stores again. You can still find them
on the web if you search, and the only stores I've seen that still have
them in stock are in the UK (and the price is higher than in the U.S.).
I guess you could look on ebay too, but you're definitely going to pay
more than retail. :( I agree though that the iPAQ is still the cheap way
to get StrongARM hardware to work with. I loaded the handhelds.org linux
distribution on my iPAQ to experiment with. X is working well too...very
cool! I'd much prefer FreeBSD though. :)

Yes, Compaq is indeed very forth coming with hardware data. To my
knowledge, they are working closely with the linux folks with hopes of
maybe eventually selling them with linux pre-installed. Just what I've
heard...

Anyway, I'd be glad to help with porting/writing device drivers for
FreeBSD/StrongARM on the iPAQ.
--
Regards, Devin.