Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:26:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rmuser is not case sensitive

On 2001-03-20, Dan Langille scribbled:

# I was cleaning up a box which had both JOHN and john as users.  I did
# a rmuser JOHN.  It removed both users.  Is this expected behaviour?  I
# say it breaks POLA.

In the rmuser script, there is a Search/Replace call that has /io, which
searches in non-case sensitive mode.

Below is a clip of what I have under 4.2-STABLE:

while (<MASTER_PW>) {
	if (not /^\Q$login_name:/io) {
		print NEW_PW;
	} else {
		print STDERR "Dropped entry for $login_name\n" if \
		$debug;

		$skipped = 1;
	}
}

Removing the i would probably resolve the non-case sensitive issue of
rmuser.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]