Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re:  hdd voltage

> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:01:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: D?nielisz L?szl? <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: hdd voltage
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> Thank you guys for the interest you bring solving my
> issue!
>
> Actualy I noticed one thing for sure:
> I have to hdd-s in my PC, an 80GB Seagate ATA (the o.s.
> boot hdd) and one 1T Seagate SATA (only for storage), there
> were no problems when I used just the 80GB neither with the
> 1T, I noticed only that I'm getting thouse reboots when I
> start to copy about more than 4-5GB from the 1T hdd to my
> laptop (on ftp). Maybe the hdd was too warm after copying
> that amount of data?

<SNIP!>

You don't specify what models you have. The specs for a random, slightly higher-end, 1TB SATA Seagate drive states an operating temperature range of 0C-60C.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/desktop/Barracuda%207200.12/100529369e.pdf
- Page 4, PDF page 11

Found:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/barracuda_hard_drives/barracuda_7200.12/#tTabContentSpecifications

> 49 Celsius was the top of the tempature for this hdd, I
> think its normal.

After that Google study, I prefer to keep my drives below 40C if I can. Current temp (idle): 41C.

Regards,

James Phillips

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.