Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:55:45 UT
From:      "leegold" <leegold@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Randy Pratt" <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fbsd 4.7 - where is XF86Setup ?

...snip...
> > XF86Setup has saved people LOTS of time.

> Have you tried using the xf86config tool as described in the Handbook
> Installation section (2.9.11 Configure X Server)?  It will generally
> produce a useable XF86Config file that can be used without modification.
>
> The XF86Setup was easy to use, but apparently the XFree86 project has
> decided to discontinue its use so we have to use the tools provided.

I did
# XFree86 -configure
# XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new
 and I do get a crosshatched pattern w/x in the middle.
 but going in to the config. file to fine tune I see
 code not described in the handbook and not self documented
 in the file itself. I therefore don't know what the heck I'm
 doing in there and i'm not going to change a thing until I do.

 I don't know where to inspect my monitor's horiz and vert.
 sync and refresh - make sure it's in the safe range.

 Or just assume it's ok (though not optimized) and install KDE
 and forget about it. I mean either  I hack the file w/detailed
 docs and info on what each line does or trust it. I'll trust it.
 Unfortunately I don't have the EASY to use fine-grained adjustment
 that XF86Setup and xvidtune GUI's affored me.

 If my monitor becomes silicon ball lighting I'll report back
 immediately.

http://fastmail.fm - More web-sonets than web-mail