Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 11:13:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux uname(3) and licensed apps

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Chris Fanning wrote:
> Evangelism aside, I have an application that requires uname() to return
> Linux.  I've spoken with them and they have no intention of providing a
> workaround until September earliest.

<snip>

> What do I have to do to get this running?

This isn't elegant..

You can easily change the emulation layer to report Linux instead of
FreeBSD, check about line 730 in /sys/i386/linux_misc.c, it looks like
there isn't much there to change.

Other than that, you could just get a hexeditor and change the string
"Linux 2.0" that the program tries to find to
"FreeBSD\0\0" or something.. it'd be very easy to try and it might work.

(I'm going to get so slated for that though aren't I?!)

	Steve