Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:52:19 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: After Install -- Where is FreeBSD?

Benjamin Sher wrote:

>Dear Alex:
>
>Thanks so much for your help.
>
>I did try it, went into Post Installation Config, Label, etc. But at the top
>there was no information whatsoever about any disks. Zilch. No slice, no
>partition. Nothing.
>
>Any idea what's going on?

I'm sorry, I meant to type "slice" editor not "label" editor.  I was
thinking slice, but my fingers disagreed :-(  When you enter the slice
editor it should allow you to pick a disk.  I'm not sure, in the end.
whether you had one disk (with Windows and BSD) or two disks (one with
windows, one with BSD).  In any case, I think you have to write the Boot
Manager to both.

Pick the first disk and it should give you a screen displaying the
slices (DOS-style partitions).  In fact you need to do nothing more than
type "W" here and it will ask you if you want to install the Boot
Manager.  Select the First option (BSD boot manager) and press return.

If you have two disks, then press Escape, deselect the current disk by
pressing space, move down to the second disk, hit enter and repeat the
procedure.

I just confirmed the procedure on my own Windows/FreeBSD disk and it
worked just fine.  So assuming the rest of your installation did go OK,
this should do it.

Good luck, and let us know when (not if!) it works for you.

--Alex

PS  I have copied freebsd-questions on the reply.  You're better off
directing followups there, even when replying to the person who's
helping you.  They may not have the answer that you need, or might even
be in another time zone (as I suspect I am).  It might also be that
someone else has a better answer!  Also, it means that any answers you
get are recorded for posterity in the archives, where hopefully they can
be found by someone else having similar problems.

PPS  At some point, someone may chide you for top-posting -- that is,
putting your followup question at the top of your email rather than at
the bottom.  The reason is that it is easier to follow the thread of a
discussion if you can read through it chronologically from top to
bottom.  It takes a little more mouse-wheel scrolling sometimes to see
the new material, but is generally easier than reading the end of the
message and then having to scroll back to the beginning.