Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:30:04 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4-R telnetd doesn't prompt for password on bad user id

I have 4 FreeBSD systems.  One is 2.2.8 and is fine for the purposes of this
question.

One is 3.4-RC#4 Fri Dec 17 1999, and it also has no significant problems,
although I don't know why I installed 3.4-RC and never upgraded it.

Two of them are 3.4-RELEASE Mon Dec 20 1999.  If I telnet to either of
them, it does not prompt for a password if I enter an invalid user id:
it simply prints "Login incorrect" and displays the login prompt again.
This allows a bored attacker to try logins until he hits a valid userid.

One of the two 3.4-RELEASE systems has a kernel built from 3.4-STABLE
sources Mon, Mar 27, 2000.  The other uses the GENERIC kernel from
the original install.  Both seem to behave the same.

So:

1) Is this a known problem that I just couldn't find in the archives, or

2) have I managed to misconfigure something to cause this?

I'm not at all sure I have enough drive space left (not to mention spare
time) to build a 3.4-STABLE system.

And yes, I normally use SSH.  I would have discovered this much sooner
if I didn't.

-- Bob