Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 22:29:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Should bad144 be retired?
>
> I get the distinct feeling that the time has prettymuch come for this,
> yes.  It's only real use is for old 'wd' disks, most of whom are dead
> and gone.
>
> Killing it from the boot floppy in particular would win us some more
> space.

Hey! :)  My Kerberos server is running quite happily on a hard disk that I
have had for the last 9 or 10 years.  Great drive -- all of my Maxtors
have lasted really well.  It has one or two bad sectors, but has had those
for at least 4 years.  I keep backups of important data, but have had no
problems.  Bad144 on a boot-floppy for install seems quite necessary to
me.  If we do retire it from a boot floppy, maybe we should have an "old
install floppy" that supports bad144, etc, but skips out on PCI support,
for example.  It may be a more fair assumption that PCI-based machines
won't need bad144, but my old 386 does. :)

As to why I kept the machine?  A Kerberos server just does a little DES,
and why fix something that is clearly not broken?

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/