Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:52:54 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with diagnosing eclipse freezes

Micah wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I asked a similar question back in November.  See
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-eclipse/2005-November/000210.html
>

> A quick rehash: Starting eclipse via the command line "eclipse" takes
> ~3.5 minutes to start.  Creating a new java project and a new class and
> then moving the cursor resulted in a 1 minute freeze.  After it unfroze
> typing "System." caused the IDE to freeze for another minute.  The times
> seem to be fairly consistent.
>
> This is on an Athlon 64 3000+ system with 1.5GB ram running
> FreeBSD-release 6.0 i386 with the generic kernel.  I'm currently trying
> to run eclipse-3.1.1_2, but it happened on 3.1.1 and 3.1_3 as well.  A
> top indicates that "java" is taking up all available processor time.  No
> disk activity is indicated in systat or by the drive LED on the case.
> Poseidon, the other largish java application I use frequently, does not
> exhibit these freezes.
>
> Since November I've upgraded to FreeBSD 6.0 release, tried compiling
> eclipse with JDK15, tried compiling with JDK14, and tried the packaged
> version from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/eclipse-3.1.1_2.tbz.
>

> JDK15 fails to start crashing with a java hotspot zlib error.
> JDK14 and packaged both exhibit the same freezes.
>
> I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing this.  Help with the debugger,
> eclipse debugging flags, or tools to watch the system during the freezes
> would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

I just tried building Eclipse with java 1.5 and the patch Michael
Kastner mentioned earlier this week.  /same/ problem.  Since only
Eclipse does this and it's been there across multiple versions of
FreeBSD and JVMs, then it's either Eclipse or a really strange hardware
problem that only affects Eclipse and not the hundreds of other ports I
have installed.  Could someone point me somewhere that has some reading
on profiling or attaching a debugger to trap these freezes?

Thanks,
Micah