Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 19:19:19 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> writes:

>maybe we should  have a way of marking when the tools have changed,
>in which case an extra pass of Make bootstrap or similar
>could fix it..

This is the common method of using "cookies" to represent a portion of the
build process.

We would probably want to have 3 conditions.
1) Unconditionally build the tools
2) Test to see if the tools are up-to-date
3) Assume the tools are up-to-date as of the time of the cookie.

This can be done with two tokens, "tools_built" and "tools_changed".

At the top level, "make" tests a rules that says that "tools_built" depends
on "tools_changed".

The depend rules for "tools_changed" actually forces those tools to get made.

To force the tools to be made, remove "tools_built".