Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:37:04 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, kleon@bellsouth.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

> On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > Just sed the backspaces out:
> >
> > $ sed 's/^H.//g' handbook.latin1 >handbook.ascii
> >
> > (type ^v^h to get a real ^H)
>
> Actually this won't work.  There aren't any ^H. in the file; what
> there are, instead, are lots of double letters and lots of underscores.
> In other words a filed attempt to convert something to ascii (or
> plain text) has already been made.
>
> There's always the option of testing proposed solutions before
> posting them.....

Excuse me ?  There are several versions of the handbook (& the FAQ).
I'm *obviously* talking about the .latin1 version.  The .latin1
version is just ascii with overstrikes.

You're obviously talking about the postscript one.  If you want to
do something with that, get a copy of ghostscript.  It builds on
lots of platforms.

There's always the option of reading what I posted.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;