Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:13:08 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current vs. -stable network performance

--==_Exmh_-1567691784P

If memory serves me right, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I've noticed that -current has much lower TCP performance.  I haven't
>     had time to investigate it but I presume there is some overhead
>     somewhere that is killing it.

Here's a data point but I'm not sure how useful it is.  At the start of
December I was using tcpreplay to spew packets from a stored trace into
a testbed network as fast as the CPU could go, and I saw:

5-CURRENT (11/19):		9244 pps, 35.6 Mbps
4-STABLE (late November):	21827 pps, 84 Mbps

These measurements were on the same machine, which is a 1.7 GHz P4,
512MB RAM, ATA disk.  Network interface was a four-port dc-type card.
GENERIC kernels.  These are "typical" numbers, but fairly repeatable
over various trace files I was using.

At the time I was more interested in being able to get packets on the
network quickly than in why there was a performance difference, so I
just plopped 4-STABLE on the machine without doing any other
investigation.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1567691784P

--==_Exmh_-1567691784P--