Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 12:54:22 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        Walter Ian Kaye <freebsd-org@natural-innovations.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local ports "up-to-date" version doesn't match website

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> At 11:10 a -0800 05/11/2007, Beech Rintoul didst inscribe upon an
> electronic papyrus:
>
>> Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Locally I see this:
>>>
>>> /usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl> pkg_version -v
>>> [...]
>>> lynx-ssl-2.8.5_2                    =   up-to-date with port
>>>

>>> But freebsd.org website shows 2.8.6_4,1
>>>
>>> How do I get my ports to know what's actually available?
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>> -Walter
>>> running os version 4.10
>> Freebsd 4.x is no longer supported in any way. Newer ports will not
>> build on 4.x. You should consider upgrading to 6.2.
>
> Then why does the website info for lynx port list versions from 6.x
> down to 4.10? When I saw that, I figured it was supported....
Technically, it is. But, the newer versions aren't supported on 4.x
anymore. They need to update their website.

> I know 4.10 is EOL'd; it's just that it's a production Internet server
> and I don't know how long it'd be down for. I've never upgraded a
> FreeBSD system before and have no idea how to go about it (it's a
> remote dedicated server, unmanaged from my hosting provider). Will I
> have to reinstall every port afterwards, or can I upgrade the OS and
> the existing ports will just work?
You will need to rebuild your ports if you upgrade. The compat4 port is
marked forbidden due to security issues, so most of your 4.x ports
probably will not run. As for upgrading, the handbook has a lot of good
information. Also search the lists for tips on upgrading a remote
machine. Really, the best way is to do a clean install of 6.2 on another
machine and move your files over. There were significant file system
improvements since 4.x that you would not have the benefit of doing an
upgrade. You should talk to your provider and see if they will provide
you a 6.x server so you can migrate your files and test before going
online. I personally wouldn't stay with any provider who refuses to
upgrade from a deprecated os version.

That said, if you decide to stay with 4.x, you can use the tag
RELEASE_4_EOL when you cvsup src or ports. That is the last known good
4.x configuration. Anything past that will not build, as all of the 4.x
build tools were removed from the tree. One other thing to consider is
there will be no more security updates for 4.x, so running it on a
production server will become increasingly risky.

Beech