Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:40:50 -0400
From:      Gordon Smith <gsmith@acrelic.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Handbook 11.3 Core Configuration Suggestion

Dear Keeper of the Holy Handbook,

I am in the process of setting up a laptop system with FreeBSD, and it is
really going well.  I encountered a momentary issue, easily fixed, when I
set up rc.conf and rc.conf.site as discussed here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-core-
configuration.html

The problem was that I set up the first executable line of rc.conf as

. rc.conf.site

not realizing that the FreeBSD startup code does not consider /etc to be the
current directory at that moment.  In effect, I had splunged rc.conf.  I
then looked up the commands for mounting the appropriate filesystems
read-write and edited the fateful line of rc.conf to read

. /etc/rc.conf.site

Restarting the system worked beautifully.  As such, I would like to suggest
that the appropriate Handbook page be changed to reflect the use of the full
pathname of the rc.conf.site file within the rc.conf file.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that I don't think I've ever
laid eyes on a finer piece of documentation than the FreeBSD online
Handbook.  Really, I mean it - clear, concise, helpful - written by people
who really care about what they're doing.  Bravo/Brava.

Please let me know if this has been helpful.  Thank you.

Gordon Smith
VP Engineering
Acrelic Interactive
 <mailto:gsmith@acrelic.com> gsmith@acrelic.com