Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:20:55 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 08:36:12AM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> Yes.  The same goes for package names, but that's already covered in
> the handbook (and there has been the rule about package names ever
> since I became PW, err, ports manager).

You mean the only ports that are capitalized are the ones that were
around before you became PW? I find that a little hard to believe, but I
certainly can't think of any offhand that have any capital letters in
them that were too recent.

> I'd like to keep scripts/ separate because names of the files in that
> directory are significant.  I don't want someone putting his own
> "configure" script in files/, intending to be copied to ${WRKSRC},
> only to have it been run automatically from bsd.port.mk. ;)

We can introduce a SCRIPTS variable in bsd.port.mk that'll consist of
the names of scripts to run (and the order they're presented in the
SCRIPTS var can be the order in which they are run). Optionally, they
could be chmod'd +x, but I'm not sure that would survive CVS.

> Besides, not many ports have scripts/ anyway.  And the #1 reason why I
> wanted to move md5 out of files/ was because that will get rid of the
> files/ dir on most of the ports, giving you this standard picture
> (requoted):

Yea, if anything's changed, that would be the minimum.

> For a port without patches, my suggestion (move md5 out of files/,
> leave patches/ alone) will make it even less. :)
>
> Of course, we can move md5 out of files/ *and* move patches into
> files/, but I'm not sure how much this will buy us.  Also, I keep
> copies of private patches in files/, aren't there others who do this?

Um, why would you put private patches in there, if bsd.port.mk looks for
patches in patches/ ? It wouldn't even use these patches.

Perhaps a different method could be implemented for having private
patches as well.

I still think combining scripts/ and patches/ into files/ is best.

--Will