Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:27:18 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        Brian Phillips <stringchopper@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .emacs error in developer's handbook (section 2.7) standard-display-european & cannot load hilit19

Brian Phillips writes:
 > I'm trying to use the .emacs configuration listed in the FreeBSD
 > Developer's Handbook, 2.7, and I get these error messages for which google
 > isn't helping (this neophyte) much. Can someone point me in the right
 > direction for fixing the 'standard-display-european' issue as well as the
 > 'cannot open load file ... hilit19' problem?

Looks like that section of the handbook is fairly out of date.

Question 66 in the emacs FAQ [1] says that it's deprecated but
included; I don't even see it in the current distributions.  The same
FAQ question goes to describe how to use font-lock mode instead.

If you're looking for a good place to get started with a fancier emacs
config, I found sjrmanning's config [2] to be a wonderful starting
point.

g.

[1]: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/GNU-Emacs-FAQ/part2/
[2]: https://github.com/sjrmanning/.emacs.d