Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 11:05:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Window problem

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:31:12AM +0200, CARTER Anthony wrote:
> I think that you should do this first:
>=20
> mount -u /
>=20
> this re-mounts root as read-write, otherwise you are in read-only in sing=
le=20
> user mode...
>=20
> then do:
>=20
> mount -a
> swapon -a

Actually, although the handbook recommends 'mount -u /' in

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

as does the FAQ in

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#FORGOT-=
ROOT-PW

it hasn't strictly been necessary for at least a year now.  'mount -a'
will automatically re-mount the root filesystem read-write anyway.  If
the original poster was following the instructions, that wouldn't have
been the cause of their latest problem.

> On Tuesday 06 May 2003 11:15, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 May 2003, Gary and El Byrnes wrote:

> > > I got to the point where I edited the /etc/ttys file back to what it
> > > was. When I tried saving it, I got a message that the file is read-on=
ly
> > > and use ! to override.

Seems that your /etc/ttys file has ended up without write permissions
--- that's non-standard: the mode is usually 0644 --- but so long as
everything has read permission that needs it, won't cause any
problems.

If you're in single user mode then you have superuser powers: you can
just override the filesystem permissions by:

    Esc : w q !

=66rom within vi(1) and everything should end up the way you want, and
you can get on with generating a working X configuration.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way