Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:03:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Who writes the esoteric scientific Unix apps?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, j mckitrick wrote:

>We hear so often that high-end Unix worstations are used for advanced
>scientific applications.  The biggest of the big iron usually goes to
>weather/finance forecasting and especially nuclear research.
>
>Who writes these apps?  Specialized software companies or in-house
>developers?  Are they batch-based, command line apps or GUI driven?

Here in the VU Center for Structural Biology[0] we use a mix of
commerically developed and academically developed codes and
applications.  A great deal of the codes used in scientific computation
are developed by the scientists themselves.  It's always a treat when a
grad student walks down to my office and asks to borrow a copy of K&R
because she's been tasked with working on some computational problems.
Scientists are not afraid of learning a little computer science on their
way to finding solutions to their problems.  One of the major codes we
use for molecular dynamics simulation and structure refinement is a
package called Amber[1] developed at UCSF by computational biochemists.
This package sucks up most of our cycles here.  It sells for peanuts to
other academic institutions, and goes for big bucks if a commerical
entity like a pharmaceutical company wants to use it.  Amber is a
batch-based app which we run on Beowulf clusters using Myrinet
interconnects (low latency IPC is crucial to Amber performance and
scaling) and big SGI NUMA boxes.  We also make quite a bit of use of
Insight, a commercially developed and marketed application sold by
Accelrys[2].  This is an interactive GUI app which does visualization
and also runs some structure calculation codes.  It's an IRIX
application and is mostly run on our O2s and Octanes.  For visualization
of complex biomolecules scientists here often use stereoscopic glasses
which in combination with a toggle in the X app will display the
molecules three dimensionally.  We also make use of dino, moe, grasp,
molmol, rasmol, curves, molscript, spdbv, msms, and numerous other
packages to do NMR structure refinement and the like.  The point being,
there are every imaginable flavor of application in use, some open
source, some closed, some commercial, some academic, some written in
C/X/Motif, others written in f77, some are interactive, others are
batch-based.  The challenge to me and my colleagues is keeping this
extremely heterogenous environment with one consistent, documented user
interface.  Most scientists don't have time to learn a different way of
working every time they sit down in front of a new type of machine.
They have enough to tackle just learning to use the new piece of
anaylsis software.

HTH.

[0] - http://structbio.vanderbilt.edu
[1] - http://www.amber.ucsf.edu/amber/