Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:54:03 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        "Scott D. Yelich" <scott@scottyelich.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who broke "ls" in FreeBSD?  and why?

"Scott D. Yelich" wrote:

> Sorry, I can't hold back any longer:
>
>      -A      List all entries except for `.' and `..'. Always set for
>              the super-user.
>
> Would someone please be so kind as to explain to me the rationale behind
> that?  Why should a user or script have to be forced to get dot files
> just because it's running under uid 0?  This seems to really have a
> major impact on portable scripts ... they have a chance to be  dangerous
> under FreeBSD now -- due to this setting.

The rational for what? Why -A is always set for the super-user or why ls
doesn't show  files that start with a '.'

> Why is FreeBSD trying to be like 'blows where it tries to think for the
> user?  Only, it's much worse than that as there doesn't appear to be a
> way to  override this setting.
>
> This doesn't appear to be the default forGNU ls, so who "broke" this?

It has been a *nix convention to "hide" files by starting them with a
'.' since the first *nix I ever saw (that would be V6). Hence a
.profile (I know it is there I don't need to see it every time I do
an ls)

Since when is the "GNU way" the "right way"?

And what on earth does any of this have to do with FreeBSD Mobile?

And why am I adding to it? :-)

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited