Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:57:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 branching (no longer: HEADS UP: 5.0 Feature Freeze October 16, 2002)

[[ don't cross post to private and public lists ]]

In message: <3DA7C3DF.1CFD6978@softweyr.com>
            Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
: Matthew Dillon wrote:
: >
: >     I definitely agree with the 5.0 time schedule.  I also agree with
: >     Julian that it would be premature to branch 5.0 into -stable and
: >     make 6.x -current.  We should go through at *least* one more release
: >     cycle (5.1) before branching, IMHO, simply to reduce the amount of
: >     MFCing that would otherwise be necessary.
:
: Matt brings up a good point here.  I'm daring to cross-post this because
: I want to move THIS discussion to -arch, where it belings.  I've directed
: replies to -arch.
:
: I think we need to discuss when we will branch 6.x.  I think we need to
: wait until we have a 5.x release that is stable enough to consider for
: production workstation usage levels, and hope we may reach that point
: by the 5.2 release.  I think arbitrarily whacking off a new development
: branch before 5.x is really and truly stabilized could hurt the FreeBSD
: project greatly.
:
: This is obviously not my decision to make, and many of you know much
: more about the actual work to be done than I do.  Please provide your
: input.  I'm not asking that we make a decision at this point, just
: getting people thinking about how we might go about this, since it is
: likely to be different from how we've done it in the past.

I think that the general consensus has been to wait until 5.1 or 5.2
to do the branch.  This has been the position of the last couple of
developer summits that I've been at.  We knew this a year ago.  I'd
let RE make the final call on this, but what you (and Matt) have said
makes good sense.  It is basically what most of the folks that have an
opinion on this have been saying for some time now.

This does mean that we'll need to keep the amount of rototilling down
to a minimum during this time, and exclude new features that impact
the stability of the system until after the branch.  It will be a new
feature slush rather than an outright freeze, since many new features
can be integrated w/o impacting system stability.

Warner