Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:07:00 -0400
From:      "Gessner, Matt" <mattg@aiinet.com>
To:        "'questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Kernel configuration

Hi,

I posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc but nothing's come back... news takes
a while.

I'm running 2.2.7-RELEASE, and I've already changed my kernel a bit to
allow me to do a whole bunch of simultaneous connections, but I've
probably done something wrong, because it ain't working.

Here's what I have:

P5-166 Gateway
32 MB RAM
2 GB disk, 850MB belongs to FreeBSD, of which 100MB is swap.
PCI DEC Ethernet card

Here's how I've mangled my poor kernel:
    maxusers 128
    options CHILD_MAX=256
    options OPEN_MAX=2048
    options NMBCLUSTERS=4096

Here's how I've changed login.conf

    default and root both have unlimited child process and open file
counts.

I've done a little poking around in param.c and don't see immediately
that I've violated any rules by setting these limits the way I have.

When I type limits, I get the following info back:

    maxprocesses 2067
    openfiles 4136

But I can't find anything anywhere that talks about tuning the kernel
for doing this.

What I need to do is be able to run lots of TCP connections, and I know
it can be done with FreeBSD.

The connections are being made from FreeBSD to a proprietary board and
then to a Solaris machine.

My end goal is to be able to bring up about 1024 TCP connections
outbound and route them back to the same box, for a total of 2048
connections.

Right now, I run 1024 connections to the other system, and what happens
is when the sockets are all connected, and the writes start to occur,
FreeBSD
just reboots the machine -- no messages anywhere.

Have I really goofed up somewhere/something?  Can anyone give me some
insight as to what MIGHT be happening here?  E-mail is fine, so's the
newgroup.

I suppose it's completely possible I'm running out of RAM and swap, but
I'd expect to see something in /var/log/messages to that effect.  So
far, nothing.

Recently I uppped NMBCLUSTERS to 4096, but it didn't seem to fix the
problem.
That was based on some notes in the FAQ.

Thanks in advance,

    Matt Gessner