Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:28:09 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        "Jon T. Ilko" <ilko@oclc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Creating an inetd server.

Previously:
>  I'm trying to create a simple server that
>will run from inetd on port 1211.

You're working too hard!  ;-)  When you use inetd to control
access to a process, all you need to do in that process is
to read from stdin and write to stdout.  Don't worry about
binding to a socket and all that, it's what inetd does for
a living...  (One nice thing about it is that you can test
your server without inetd - just fire it up from the command
line and interact with it...)

One of the cardinal rules with reading is to make sure you
explicitly specify the size of your buffers!  Don't let anyone
send you a huge input line and overrun your buffers...

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...

Just say NO to Netscape Navigator!