Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:43:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible Promise FastTrack RAID driver

It seems Alson van der Meulen wrote:
> S?ren Schmidt(sos@freebsd.dk)@2001.12.29 10:15:03 +0000:
> > It seems S?ren Schmidt wrote:
> > > We already have support for the Fasttraks in the kernel (and have had that
> > > for a long time now), with code that is developed outside Promise.
> > > However it still needs a bit of work, but with a little luck that should
> > > clear up soon..
> >
> > BTW, it is interesting to see that they just used the ATA driver I've
> > written for FreeBSD, ripped off the Copyright headers, and added ft_ to
> > all function names, then added their own RAID engine which seems to
> > be a quick and dirty port of the win version....
> sigh...
>
> What this driver does have, and we don't, is support for RAID. AFAIK,
> our own driver can only use it as an ATA controller. There's no

bzzst! *WRONG* we have had support for the RAID's on fasttracks since:

/sys/dev/ata/ata-raid.c revision 1.1
date: 2000/10/13 13:04:45;  author: sos;  state: Exp;
Add support for ATA "pseudo" RAID controllers as the Promise Fasttrak
and HighPoint HPT370 controllers.

I wrote that over a year ago, and it supports the RAID's on *BOTH*
Promise and HighPoint based controllers. It does have a few issues
though in array failure cases, but thats easily fixed, I just need
the time to do it...

-Søren