Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:04:10 -0600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <larryd@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   U.S. issue: FCC Docket# 96-262 (possible per minute charges)

I'm not going to forward the full message, as it's from FlashNet, and
makes the claim that "your local telephone company has filed a proposal
with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your internet service".

I've looked a little at the comments submitted by SWBell's attorneys, and
a fair amount of it appears to be crying about current regulation and lack
of recovery cost mechanisms when technology outpaces them.  If their aim
is to subsidize this through per-minute charges, I think that's a bad
thing indeed.

Whether this turns out to be true remains to be seen, but the pertinent
information follows:

Official statement: http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

There are 3 zip files available for the curious from the URL that are
mostly collections of comments in various word-processing formats, and
almost universally telco-authored.  I wonder where the general public
comments are...

Email comments to:	isp@fcc.gov

Include "CC Docket No 96-263" as the subject with name and mailing
address, otherwise the claim is that comments directed to this email will
be discarded; sounds a bit suspicious, but the original comment date was
Jan 27, with reply comment date of Feb 13.

Unfortunately I only got this message the day before (12th).

Apologies to the out-of-band readers, but this seems to be the sort of
thing that our government and utility companies like to pull these days.
I hope it's not a trend.

cheers,
larry