Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:27:23 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documenting device driver methods

Am 07.12.2011 um 06:56 schrieb Benjamin Kaduk:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2011, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> Am 06.12.2011 um 15:34 schrieb Stefan Bethke:
>>=20
>>> I noticed that very few (if any) device drivers have their interface =
methods documented (e.g. iicbus, iicbb, gpiobus, gpio).
>>>=20
>>> Where should such documentation go? In the driver specific man page, =
in a separate section 9 page per method, or a single section 9 man page?
>>>=20
>>> Is there a preferred style for these?
>>=20
>> Would it make sense to document device classes in the device section =
with the class name in all capitals, e.g. foo_if.m as FOO.4?
>=20
> My 0.02 would be a single section 4 page per driver, but with a bunch =
of MLINKS for the methods, and cross-ref'd from the driver page.  The =
driver page seems to be more of an overview of the thing as a whole and =
not really a programming guide.  Though, that might lead one to put it =
in section 9 =85

There are interfaces for which there is no "main" driver, for example, =
iic_if.m or mii_if.m.  For mii_if.m, there is a man/man4/mii.4 page that =
describes the interfaces.  In case of iic_if.m that woulnd't work since =
there is a dev/iicbus/iic.c character device driver with it's own man =
page iic(4).  Hence my suggestion to "create a new namespace" for the =
interfaces themselves.  Using iic_if as the man page name would also be =
a possibility.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811