Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:21:46 MST
From:      Warner Losh <imp@boulder.openware.com>
To:        Peter Williams <PWILLIAM%ESOC.BITNET@vm.gmd.de>
Cc:        OI-USERS@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Creating Application Windows in an OI_add_timeout callback

: On a Sparc Station IPX this is pretty much what happens, but as more and more
: windows are created, the rate at which windows are created increases, ie the
: timeout is being ignored.
:
: Things get pretty manic on a Sparc Station 20, my screen is rapidly filled
: with windows as though the callback is being called with no timeout whatsoever.
:
: If rather than creating a new window in the callback, I add a new static text
: item, everything works as expected. This is shown in the second test case.

I think that you have found a bug that another user on OI-users ran
into.  The simple workaround is to delete and add the callback inside
timeoutCB.  The set_associated_object winds up waiting for the window
to become visible, which invilvles calling OI's main loop.  The
timeout callbacks aren't protected for this case, due to an oversite
on my part, so the timeout fires right away.  The problem is more
pronounced on wall timeouts, but has the potential for affecting idle
timeouts as well.

Warner