Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:28:24 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Gavin Atkinson" <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>, "Craig Boston" <craig@meoqu.gank.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird messages

From: "Gavin Atkinson" <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Craig Boston wrote:
> > Okay, is there something wrong with the mailing list, my mail server, or
> > am I just going insane?
> >
> > Seeming random messages (from completely different people) are showing
> > up as mutipart/mixed, with an empty application/pgp-signature part and
> > and a text/plain part containing only the following:

I see these messages haveing 2 attachements [original message (text/plain),
pgp-signature (application/pgp-signature)] and the tag line placed by the
mailing list software (text/plain).

> [snip example]
>
> It's not just you - i'm seeing similar. The emails show up fine in pine,
> but in Evolution or MS Outlook, i get exactly what you describe. I first
> noticed it on Wednesday.

This is because the sender of these mail are PGP signing their messages.
Which causes problems for users that don't have a mail program that
understands PGP signed messages.

hmm,  It looks as thought the Mailing List software was changed from
MajorDomo to Mailman-Version: 2.1.1, and instead of appending the list
signature to the end of a message. The Mailing List software now
encapsulates the "Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg=pgp-sha1" inside a

Unfortuanately, this now breaks my de-pgp-sig filter which had converted
multipart/signed to multipart/mixed (it only replaced signed with mixed in
the header).

Scot