Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:22:32 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archiver packages on FreeBSD CD 1

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:30:23 -0600
Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:02:41 +0200
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro> wrote:
>
> > > The "modern needs" of people can vary quite widely.
> >
> > If you interact with the win world unzip and unrar are needed;
> > perhaps unace to.
>
> Hrm... afaik, the install CDs aren't designed to allow you to interact
> with anyone except (possibly) users.
>
> If you are going to be interacting with
> windows on a regular basis, odds are that you're going to have an
> internet connection... which... if you do, you can add these packages
> via sysinstall or simply
> pkg_add -r unzip
> pkg_add -r unrar
> pkg_add -r unace

yeh, yeh

> The install CDs (again, my personal opinion) are there only to get you
> a system that you can use... not one that does everything you need
> (They don't include PostgreSQL!)

Well, we have a mini iso that is supposed to allow you to get the system
up and cvsup, pkg_add, portupgrade, etc. for the rest.

End every now and then new-commers will ask what is on the install CD.
After which we'll nicely point them to cvsup, pkg_*, port*.

> Regarding archive formats, if I want to interact with the win world
> (which I do on a regular business... my workstation at work is
> Windows) only one person out of literally hundreds have sent me a rar
> file... and that person was more than happy (and defilately equipped)
> to sent me a zip instead.
>
> I have never ran across a ace archive.

>From my experience they tend to be smaller that rar3 and much smaller
that zips.

> Whereas I could see a mild use for unzip before an internet connection
> was established, I personally see no need for unrar and unace...

> as far as I'm
> concerned, bzip2, gzip, compress, and unzip would be all could be
> "needed"

a must

> Of course, if you feel like bikeshedding, I could bring up stuffit...

:) Beeing one who burned 4.7R distfiles on cd's, I don't wanna get into
that :)

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user