Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 17:21:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rob Miracle <rwm@MPGN.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Seagate Hawk 4XL drive

I'm trying to install this as a second drive in a FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE
box.  When following the instructions for using /stand/sysinstall it
complains about the geometry being wrong.

I go to Config->Partition.  I tell it to use the whole disk (dedicated
unix box), then I Write the info, then Quit.  Set bootmgr to none, then
run Label.  I create sd1s1e with all avaialble space mounted on /usr/projects
and do a Write.  It says something about an invalid argument then dumps me
back to the Sysinstall, then I exit sysinstall.

Then I try to:

mount -t ufs /dev/sd1s1e /usr/projects

and it says /dev/sd1s1e on /usr/projects: Incorrect super block.

I never saw it actually make the file system.  If I try the
manual instructions from the handbook for a dedicated drive:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1 count=2

This appears to work fine.

  disklabel /dev/rsd1 | disklabel -BrR sd1 /dev/stdin

This spews:   sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
twice.  I reformated the drive with both the CTRL-A option of
the Adaptec 2940/W and with the unix util scsiformat. Then:

  newfs /dev/rsd1e

spews: newfs: /dev/rsd1e: Invalid argument

Ideas?  I  need to get this drive up and running asap.  Please
respond via email to this account also.

Thanks
Rob
--